Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Beef Chimichangas

A wonderful aunt of mine recommended that I look up recipes with corn tortillas at allrecipes.com. So I did and over the course of the next several months I intend to try them and blog about them.

The original recipe for this can be found at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/beef-chimichangas/detail.aspx#

I did make a few changes to suit my personal taste and that is what will be listed here.

Ingredients
1 lb. ground beef (I used lean)
1 onion chopped
1 clove garlic mince
1 tsp. dried oregano
cumin
chili powder
salt
2 tablespoons tomato sauce
1/4 cup sour cream
1 4 oz can of chopped green chilies
2 tbsp distilled white vinegar
1 cup shredded cheese (the recipe called for cheddar but I used a Mexican blend)
1/2 cup butter
6 large corn tortillas
HINT: if you can't find large corn tortillas small ones will work, but remember that they will not hold as much. if you over fill them it will make a mess.

1.) Preheat oven to 450 degrees
2.) Brown the round beef with the onion , garlic, and other spices to taste. I also added the green chilies at this point. drain off the extra fat. Add tomato sauce. Stir in the sour cream and vinegar. Remove pan from heat and stir in the cheese.

3.) melt butter in a skillet big enough to lay the tortilla flat. when melted dip the tortilla into the butter until soft.
HINT: another way to soften corn tortillas is to put them in the microwave with a damp paper towel over the top heat for 30 seconds to a minute. that takes less fat but I have not tried it yet with this recipe

Place softened tortilla on a baking sheet and put about 1/3 cup of the meat mixture (less for 6 inch tortillas)
fold the tortilla top and bottom and then around the sides and flip the seam side down on the baking sheet

4.) Bake in the oven until crisp the recipe says about 15 minutes, but keep an eye on it, in my oven it only took 10

No comments:

Post a Comment